As believers we are commanded to live a life that is honoring to our God. He is not content for us to live life as we always have. Things change. Life takes on a new and higher meaning.
A literal translation would sound like this. I as God’s prisoner, beg you to live a life that shows who you really are. A child of God. A child of God should live different then a child of the Devil. We should love different, help others differently, sacrifice with joyful hearts and endure the hard times of this life all while being thankful to God for what He is producing in our lives.
I Peter 1:6-9 says Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.
This week we will check out how God expects us to live.
Why being born again is so vital
John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. Jesus said being born again is a must. So what does birth entail?
1. It is a specific event in time. Your mom gave physical birth, God’s Spirit gives the new birth.
2. It is the beginning of something never before experienced. Natural birth begins a limited journey and the new birth begins an eternal journey.
3. Someone had to suffer for one to be born. Your mom experience great pain in giving you birth and Jesus endured great pain in giving to you the new birth.
4. Growth is the expected result of birth. Your parents expected you to grow and God expects His children to grow.
5. The one certain thing after birth is death. All who are physically born will die and God expects His kids to die.
So then, birth happens at a specific time, leads to something brand new that is brought about because of the suffering of someone else who expects you to grow and knows that you someday will die. The new birth begins when we become willing to die to ourselves. The apostle Paul said in
Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
The journey to holiness begins when we are born again and realize that this new birth is at the same time a death to self.
Prayer: Father, help us to live the way Jesus wants us to live. May we live like Him! As we live our daily lives, let us glorify Jesus so others see Him, not us. Help us to live a life that reflects the people you have made us to be. Thank you for loving us enough to change our lives to allow real joy to be real in our hearts. In Jesus name, amen.
Today’s verse: John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.