One of my favorite candies is Reese’s Pieces. When I open a bag, I eat them all. The red ones, the yellow ones, the blue ones, all of them. When I eat one, I don’t stop until the bag is gone. Man, I love those Reese’s Pieces. They are good to the very last one. I am afraid, that all too often, we only “eat” part of the fruit. The whole thing is meant to be enjoyed and lived. Our lives will be unfulfilled and empty if we only take part of it and leave the rest behind. Just as I eat the whole bag of Pieces, I too need to eat of the WHOLE fruit of the Spirit.
1. longsuffering – Colossians 3:13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
There are two main parts to being longsuffering (patient with others)
Lifting up or holding up others
- Developing an attitude of kindness
- Living in an attitude of forgiveness –
Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
2. gentleness – How do you react during times of difficulty? When someone strikes out at you, do you react in an angry unchristlike spirit or do you reach out in a kind and loving way. How you react during these times defines the real you.
1 Peter 3:4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
3. goodness – This part deals with our moral character and the kindness we show to those who have struggles within their lives. All too often we focus on the faults of others. Each and every one of us has struggles. As we deal with those around us, let’s keep in mind that we may be just the person God’s has created to show His love and kindness toward that one who is so desperately in need.
Discuss today how you as a family or an individual can enact these parts of the fruit into your life.
Galatians 5:22b But the fruit of the Spirit is……. longsuffering, gentleness, goodness
Prayer: Father, help us to show patience, gentleness and goodness to those You bring into our lives. May we be the instruments of goodness to those who have been forgotten, mistreated and abused in this life. May we live our lives in such a way that others will see Jesus in us and want to know Him as we know Him. I pray in Jesus name, amen.